Asked by: Marcus Whitney
Just six black starting quarterbacks in the 125-year history of what some consider to be the greatest college football program of all time — one which has churned out more national titles (16) than any other school.
Who are the first black quarterback that played for Alabama?
He played college football at Alabama, Where he was the first African American quarterback to start for the Crimson Tide and legendary Hall of Fame coach Bear Bryant.
Walter Lewis (gridiron football)
|Born:||April 26, 1962 Brewton, Alabama|
How many NFL quarterbacks went to Alabama?
A total of 19 Crimson Tide quarterbacks, Tagovailoa and Jones included, have been drafted in the NFL. Only four (Starr, Stabler, Scott Hunter and Todd) have hit the 4,000-yard passing benchmark. Only four (Starr, Stabler, Hunter and Tagovailoa) have a winning record.
What NFL quarterbacks came from Alabama?
Here is a complete list of Alabama quarterbacks in the NFL:
- Mac Jones. Jones was selected No. 15 overall in the 2021 NFL Draft by the New England Patriots. …
- Tua Tagovailoa. Tua Tagovailoa was selected No. …
- Jalen Hurts. Jalen Hurts was selected No. …
- A.J. McCarron. A.J. McCarron was selected No.
What NFL team has never had a black QB?
The New York Giants
Now only one NFL team — one that has been around even longer — has yet to break that streak. The New York Giants, founded in 1925 by Tim Mara, have never started a black QB before.
What team has never had a black QB?
Brissett’s appearance will leave the Giants as the only team to never have had a black starting quarterback. Below is a list of the first black quarterback to start for each team. Briscoe was the first black quarterback to start a game in a major pro football league.
Who is the best NFL QB from Alabama?
1. Joe Namath. Namath may be known to fans across the nation for his exploits in the NFL, but his career at Alabama paved the way for his legacy as one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game.
What college has produced the most NFL quarterbacks?
15 Purdue QBs went on to the NFL; Purdue is tied for first with Alabama in producing Super Bowl winning quarterbacks. According to ESPN.com, Purdue QBs have won (and started) more NFL games than any other school; thrown for the most touchdowns and yards in the NFL.
Who is Alabama best QB of all time?
1. Joe Namath (1961-64) — After turning down professional baseball offers, Namath established himself as Bryant’s (and Alabama’s) greatest quarterback. An excellent athlete who piled up 15 rushing touchdowns in his career, Namath led Alabama to a 1964 national title and compiled a 29-4 record as starter.
Who is the most famous Alabama football player?
1] Derrick Henry
Henry also set an SEC record with 28 rushing touchdowns, snapping Tim Tebow and Tre Mason’s old mark of 23. He set the Alabama single-season record with 10 100-yard rushing games and four 200-yard games, which broke Bobby Humphrey’s school record (three) set in 1986.
Who has the most touchdowns in Alabama history?