Nederlands | English | Deutsch

Project Sports

Questions and answers about sports

Does copper sulfate kill fungus?

3 min read

Asked by: Lisa Smith

Copper sulfate is an inorganic compound that combines sulfur with copper. It can kill bacteria, algae, roots, plants, snails, and fungi.

Is copper sulphate an antifungal?

Copper sulfate is used as a fungicide, algaecide, root killer, and herbicide in both agriculture and non-agricultural settings. It is also used as an antimicrobial and molluscicide. Uses for individual products containing copper sulfate vary widely.

Is copper good for fungus?

Copper fungicides are also effective for fungal diseases. Copper ions kill by denaturing proteins and enzymes in cells of pathogens they contact that have not yet infected the plant. They have no post-infection activity and are non-selective, which is why phytotoxicity occurs when they get inside plants.

Does sulfate kill fungus?

U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) scientists have found that copper sulfate kills fish egg fungus and is cheaper than current treatments.

What will copper sulfate kill?

Although copper sulfate has many uses, it is widely known as an effective and economical chemical to kill and control algal growth in ponds.

How long does it take for copper sulfate to work?

The treatment will likely cause a sudden, algal die-off causing an oxygen depletion that could result and the dead algae decay and the fish will suffocate. Treating only one third of an area at over 48-72 hours will help avoid crashing your oxygen levels.

How often should I use copper sulfate?

Application by Slug Method: Make a dump of Copper Sulfate into the irrigation ditch or lateral at ¼ to 2 pounds per second of water per treatment. Repeat about every 2 weeks as needed. A dump is usually necessary every 5 to 30 miles depending on water hardness, alkalinity, and algae concentration.

Can you use too much copper fungicide?

A: When used as directed, copper fungicide is safe for all types of plant. Too much may harm them, which is why it’s so important only to use as much as directed.

How do you make copper sulphate fungicide?

The mixture until completely dissolved add three tablespoons of hydrated lime into the mixture. And once again stir until completely dissolved pour the mixture into a pump up sprayer spray.

What is better neem oil or copper fungicide?

Neem oil is often a better option since it kills both insects and fungus, and it can also help prevent fungal diseases. On the other hand, copper fungicide inhibits fungal diseases and kills most of the fungus, but it’s more effective as a preventative measure.

Is copper sulphate harmful to skin?

It is toxic to humans.



Since copper sulfate is easily absorbed through the skin, those that dispense it must be extremely cautious to avoid even minimal skin contact with it. If contact occurs, it can cause itching and permanent yellow discoloration of the skin.

What happens when you mix copper sulfate and water?

When water is present in a sample of copper(II) sulfate it turns blue. It is still a dry solid, because the individual water molecules are trapped within the ionic lattice surrounding the copper(II) ions.

Is copper sulfate toxic to humans?

Eating large amounts of copper sulfate can lead to nausea, vomiting, and damage to body tissues, blood cells, the liver, and kidneys. With extreme exposures, shock and death can occur. Copper sulfate affects animals in a similar way.

Is it safe to swim in a pond treated with copper sulfate?

When organisms such as algae become a problem in private or commercial fish ponds, copper sulfate treatment provides an inexpensive solution. However, improper application of copper sulfate can create more problems than it solves.

Is copper sulfate a carcinogen?

Organic pesticide copper sulfate—unlike glyphosate—is a carcinogen, kills beneficial insects, decimates soil, pollutes water. It also works.