Nederlands | English | Deutsch | Türkçe

Project Sports

Questions and answers about sports

Does copper sulfate kill catfish?

4 min read

Asked by: Robert Sands

Is copper sulfate safe for catfish?

Fish & Water
As an EPA-approved algicide, copper sulfate is often an effective treatment for controlling algae in catfish ponds.

Is copper sulfate harmful to fish?

Studies with several aquatic species have found copper to be highly to very highly toxic to fish and aquatic life. Trout, koi and juvenile fish of several species are known to be particularly sensitive to copper. Fish kills have been reported after copper sulfate applications for algae control in ponds and lakes.

Are Catfish sensitive to copper?

Results indicate that both species of catfish may share a common tolerance to copper relative to other commercially cultured fish, and the recommended copper application of one milligram per liter copper sulfate (pentahydrate) per one hundred milligrams per liter total alkalinity is as suitable for blue catfish as it

How long does copper sulfate take to kill fish?

The treatment will likely cause a sudden, algal die-off causing an oxygen depletion that could result and the dead algae decay and the fish will suffocate. Treating only one third of an area at over 48-72 hours will help avoid crashing your oxygen levels.

Can you eat fish from a pond treated with copper sulfate?

There are no restrictions on swimming, eating fish from treated water bodies, human drinking water, pet/livestock drinking water, or irrigation. Copper is an element, and so is not broken down like other herbicides.

How much copper is toxic to fish?

Copper Toxicity to Target Organisms
At recommended Cu2+ concentrations of 0.15–0.20 mg/L, free copper is toxic to a number of organisms that are pathogens of fish, including the marine parasites Cryptocaryon irritans and Amyloodinium ocellatum.

What does copper sulfate treat in fish?

Copper sulphate (sulfate) is a chemical used in the treatment of some bacteria, algae, fungus and some fish parasites such as Ich. It can also be used to kill snails, accidentally or on purpose.

How long does copper sulfate last in a pond?

Chelated copper algaecides reduce the frequency of treatments because they are effective for up to 6 weeks after application. With all chemical treatments, we recommend using only as needed. Chemicals may disrupt the natural balance in the pond.

Is it safe to put copper sulfate in a pond?

Copper sulfate can be toxic to fish and other organisms. Copper sulfate results in copper build up in pond sediments and creates a sterile bottom in the pond. Besides many important organisms, it kills beneficial bacteria.

How much water do you mix with copper sulfate?

Liquid Copper Sulfate
Some liquid forms can be applied directly to the water, but the University of Florida IFAS Extension recommends diluting it to avoid using too much of it in one place. Typically, use 1 gallon of liquid copper sulfate diluted in 10 gallons of water per one surface acre of your pond.

How often should I use copper sulfate?

To be most effective, copper sulfate should be added to the sewer at the first indication of root entrance into the system whether your house plumbing is con- nected to a sewer line or a septic tank. A small amount added each day for a two-week period would probably be more effective than a large amount all at once.

What will copper sulfate kill?

Decay of plant material uses scarce dissolved oxygen, leading to fish suffocation. Fish treated with copper sulfate at approved rates are safe for human consumption with zero withdrawal time. Fish kills due to direct toxicity of copper sulfate happen occasionally.

What happens when you mix copper sulfate and water?

If copper sulphate crystals are added to water then, the particles of copper sulphate crystals loses attraction between them and starts moving continuously and gets mixed up with water. It is called ‘hydrated copper sulphate solution which is having a blue colour. Was this answer helpful?

What is copper sulfate used for in animals?

Copper has antimicrobial properties and is used in plants and animals as a fungicide and as a foot-bath for the control of foot-rot (copper sulphate 5% to 10% solution) in cattle and sheep.